Oh, joy, fall is here and that means it’s soup season. I always try to try at least a few new soup recipes to add to my rotation every year, and today I’m tried this cabbage roll soup recipe and it’s definitely a winner.
Instead of tediously rolling cabbage rolls (I’ve done this more times than I can say,) you get all of the wonderful flavors in this soup, which is thrown together in about 10 minutes after you’re done browning the beef.
If you like a brothier, less thick soup, halve the amount of rice.
I doubled my recipe because I like LOTS of soup leftovers.
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Fun with My Three Sons
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 2 medium carrots quartered and sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 3 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white rice uncooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- Parmesan cheese (optional, for topping)
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and add ground beef.
- Season ground beef with salt and pepper as desired and cook until browned.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add in chopped cabbage, carrots, tomato sauce, beef broth, white rice, bay leaf, and brown sugar, Italian seasoning, Oregano, Worcester, and stir to combine.
- Bring soup to a simmer and let cook for about 25 minutes, until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Take out the bay leaf and sprinkle with chopped parsley and top with Parmesan cheese.