This is my mom’s recipe, she made these a lot with her Christmas cookie plates that she always gave our neighbors. A thick cutout sugar cookie, frosted with white chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes. You can cute these into shapes, or, like my mom always did, make them in a big square and cut them into bars. Either way, they are delicious!
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 1/8 cups white sugar
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1 bag of white chocolate chips
- 1 cup of crushed candy canes
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, peppermint, and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Cover dough and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Heat white chocolate in a double broiler. Spread over cookies, and top with crushed candy canes.