Click photo to enlarge
The most delicious cinnamon rolls you’ll ever eat, these are delicious right out of the oven, or re-heated in the morning. I usually double this recipe and make it in a 9×13 inch pan.
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, room temperature
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cups butter (room temp)
1/4 cups cream cheese (room temp)
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the sugar, salt, egg and 1 cup flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well with each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Smear the dough with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Roll up the dough along the long edge until it forms a roll. Slice the roll into 16 equal size pieces and place them in the pan with the cut side up.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake rolls until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- While rolls are baking, combine all frosting ingredients in a bowl. Drizzle over top of the rolls while they are still warm.