Okay you guys, how cute are these cookies?
I mean, seriously. Look at the powdered sugar snow and the little tree topper stars. I die.
Not only are these cookies tasty and light as air, they are beautiful, festive, and gluten free to boot.
It’s kind of nice to throw in a light, airy cookie into your Christmas cookie tray that is full or rich, decadent stuff like fudge and shortbread.
Plus, so cute. Did I mention so cute?
You will need only a few things. Some eggs, cream of tartar, sugar, and almond extract. A little green food coloring. Non-pareils and little star sprinkles. 5 minutes to prepare them, and 4 hours for them to bake and cool.
Don’t be intimidated! These cookies are not scary! You can do it!
Recipe from This Silly Girl’s Life
- 4 egg whites at room temp
- 1 Cup granulated sugar
- pinch cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp almond extract
- green gel food coloring
- non-pareil sprinkles
- star sprinkles
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Place egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a bowl of your stand mixer. Place bowl over boiling water on the stove. Whisk vigorously until sugar dissolved and there are no more sugar granules visible. Remove from heat and whisk in extract.
- Using the whisk attachment on stand mixer, mix on medium high until egg whites become bright white but still runny. Add in food coloring to the color you want and continue to beat to form stiff peaks.
- Place mixture into piping bag with large star tip. Pipe cookies onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Make cookies about 1 inch in width, 2 inches high and place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle with the multi color sprinkles and very gently place a little yellow star on top of each one.
- Cook for 2 hours. After 2 hours, turn off oven, open door slightly and let sit in oven an additional 2 hours. Enjoy!