I’ll start off by saying this is not my Grandma’s lemon meringue pie recipe- but it’s somebody’s Grandma’s lemon meringue pie recipe. I found it on allrecipes when I went searching for their highest rated tried and true lemon meringue recipe. I found these amazing, beautiful, sweetened dried lemon slices at Trader Joes and I just absolutely had to make my first lemon meringue pie. I read some of the comments on the recipe and tweaked it a bit based on those, and then sent it into work with my husband. It was beautiful and everybody loved it. Perfect amount of sweet and tangy.
It was sweet, simple, and beautiful, so I want to share it with all of you.
- 1 9 inch unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested (I used half a cup, which was 3 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- First, bake your pie crust. I use this recipe, which is my personal favorite. You can make your own, or buy a store bought or refrigerated crust.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, stir for exactly one minute and then remove from heat. Stir in butter.
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into remaining sugar mixture. Put your pan back over medium heat. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly. Once it comes to a boil, stir for exactly one minute. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites and lemon juice until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form, which should take about four minutes. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.