I feel like the photos of these cupcakes pretty much speak for themselves, but just in case:
The most moist, chocolatey cake ever. A salted, peanut butter, Reeses type frosting. A rich, semisweet chocolate ganache, topped with a peanut butter cup.
It is hard to stop at just one!
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup neutral vegetable oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
For the peanut butter frosting:
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp plus 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
For the chocolate-peanut butter ganache:
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- To make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line pans with cupcake liners for two dozen cupcakes.
- In a very large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine them well. Add the oil and sour cream and whisk to blend. Gradually beat in the coffee – splashing may occur if you add it too quickly. Blend in the vinegar and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs and beat until well blended. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and be sure the batter is well-mixed and no flour bits remain. Fill each cupcake cup up 3/4 full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes o until a cake tester or wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean. (Don’t overbake!! Start testing at 10 mins and as soon as that toothpick comes out with little moist bits on it, pull the cupcakes out of the oven!) Let cool in the pans for about 20 minutes and make your frosting.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, place the peanut butter and butter. Sift the sugar into the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and salt. Starting on low and gradually increasing (to prevent the sugar from covering your kitchen) the speed to medium-high, beat the ingredients until light and fluffy, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the heavy whipping cream.
- Using a piping tip or cookie scoop, place a mound of peanut butter frosting on each cupcake. Smooth and set aside.
- To make the ganache: In the in a medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine the chocolate, peanut butter, and corn syrup. Cook, whisking often, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream, beating until smooth. Use while still warm.
- Gently dip the frosting top of each cupcake into the ganache. Do this over some parchment or foil because there will be some drips. Don’t over-dip, only dip the frosting in about halfway. Immediately top with a peanut butter cup, and then do the next cupcake.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.