Oh my, oh my, this is my favorite recipe for Coconut Cream Pie! I found it on allrecipes years ago and have tweaked it here and there, and now it is my go-to recipe.
1 nine inch pie crust, baked and cooled. (my recipe here)
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut
3 cups half and half
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 cups of homemade whipping cream (I like to add a little vanilla instant pudding mix to my homemade whipping cream for pies as an easy way to stabilize it)
1 cup of large coconut chips (I buy mine at Trader Joes)
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon water
Bake your pie crust until golden and set aside. Now, prepare the filling:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the sweetened, flaked coconut on a baking sheet and bake it, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the half-and-half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the toasted coconut and the vanilla and coconut extract.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
- While your pie is chilling, take your coconut chips and mix them on a baking sheet with 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of water. Place in a 400 degree oven, watching them carefully, stirring intermittently, until they are golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Top with whipped cream and coconut chips and serve.